Friday, August 17, 2012

What's happening with GZ Legends

King Falcon
My aim with the stories has been to put a new part up about every three days. That has worked out pretty well. A long time ago, I asked if there were any folks out there who could critique. No one really stepped forward until recently.

The main suggestion was that I need to tighten up the writing. What is this "tighten up the writing"? I've heard it before. I've sought out answers on the internet. Like many things in writing, not everyone agrees on a solid definition.

Elimination of run on sentences is a  common suggestion. Creating more active writing is another.

Looking at some of the story entries now, you might wonder how I can have a novel going out to agents. Is my novel written the same way? Well, here's the catch. I have been doing this blog without the assistance of any editor but myself. On my novel, The Chessmen, I had the help of an editor who's very good. That editor is none other than my awesome wife, Lisa. Not only is she a published author, but works in radio. She does the fun work of making sure that radio ads fit time slots and get their message across. On top of that, it's her voice in the ads, well most of them.

My problem is that I have a big ol story in my head. I can get it on paper, but miss some things. Even in the re-reading I miss them again. Lisa has been priceless in helping with those things.

I've given Lisa my offline copies of all the GZ Legends work so far. She has agreed to read them over and jot some notes on what she sees. That would be just like she did with Chessmen. I will also be mulling them over from part 1 on up. Once touched up, they will be re-shared.

I would really like to get some of you to jump in and give your thoughts on the improvements. I know I can do this. I know that I can make this work.

For all of you following along, thank you! As always, more to come!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Just thought I would mention that in addition to being a published author, copywriter and radio personality, I also an have a BA in English and another in Journalism. I have been a radio, television and newspaper reporter and editor. So, editing is something I feel confident to do. I only hope I do Dave's story justice.

David Wilde said...

Well geez, you never told me all that! And you always have (add mushy mush here).