Monday, August 20, 2012

Working on the pieces

What I'm working on. Click for full image.
I know it's hard to see the pencil work in the photo. I'm working on what they call, a "mash up". That's where several characters are drawn in a single picture. Most really big mash ups have a hundred or so characters in them. Imagine a poster with every single hero in Marvel or DC standing in one big group. That's a  mash up. I doubt I'll have that many characters in this picture but it's coming along pretty good.

I've had some really great feedback on my last post and I appreciate it. I seems to me that the "run on" sentence is more of a tool than something to be banned. They have to be used properly or they can become awkward. I can understand that. So as we go through to take a look over the story as posted so far, we'll weigh these things.

Truth of the matter is, once all is said and done, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. No one can write in a manner that will appeal to everyone. Yet, plenty of authors who mastered the run on sentence, are very well known. JRR Tolkien and Lovecraft are prime examples of the use of run on sentences.

So the run on sentence by itself is not to blame for a work not being "tightened up" after all. I have to look at it from another perspective. Is my work flowing well? Are there awkward spots that need to be "tweaked" a little? Numbers on my blogs are rising and most say they enjoy the story. So I can't be doing all bad, right? Big smile following that sentence!

I have also been asked if I consider the postings of GZ Legends as "chapters". In a way, yes. I prefer to call them "blog chapters". They aren't as long as a chapter from my books as I write them. I aim at a size that's more apt to suit readers of blogs. I can make them longer if people would like, but I thought between 1000 and 2000 words was more digestible. I figured the size easier to take in, low on time consumption, and hopefully enticing for more.

Really though, GZ Legends as you've seen so far, is just the tip of the iceberg. I have hundreds of characters, many alien races, and scores of adventures swirling in my head. So it's back to the writing desk and art tablet  for me!  As I go through a resharing of what's been done so far, I'll be preparing what comes next. I promise it will be extraordinary!

Oh, and in other news, more guest artists may be popping in! I'm still waiting for some news on that myself. Guest artists are welcome!

No comments: