Wednesday, November 2, 2011

My autistic gift?


It's no big secret that I have a form of autism called Asperger's Syndrome. I've been an advocate for autism education and awareness for several years now. Children with Asperger's are often called "little professors" because they get so absorbed in one interest that they can tell you almost everything about it. The interest is an obsession really and they have a hard time breaking away from it to anything else. There are pros and cons to such an obsessive interest, of course. Pros being that interests could turn into careers. Cons would be that they take over the persons life and effective freeze them from going any further.

I have been asked many times, if my art and story telling might have been my interests. Well, my mother (who also has Aspergers) is an artist. I pale in comparison. My father was also very creative in writing and became an aerospace engineer to boot. My interests? Maybe. I also loved animals and can still tell you almost anything you could want to know about them. Thanks to some events in my life, I developed and oversensitive sense of justice and went into law and protective jobs. So, I had more than one interest really. The unfortunate side was that my life was very random and it put me in strange places. Cant' help it, it went the way it went. I was on my own at 14 because I ran away from school bullying and an abusive step parent. So I had a lot of life to build and learn.


Through all that, I appeased myself and entertained friends with my role playing game based on my stories. I didn't get the writing done back then because I still had a lot to learn, and my medical conditions were undiagnosed and in control.

I think my creativity may well be linked to my autism. I have a way of seeing the world that others don't.

In any case, I don't post this because I want any pity. No need for that. I've survived this long haven't I? I have a wonderful family, great kids, and a loving lady in my life. Being disabled is just another life challenge. And I don't want you to come and enjoy Galaxy Zento because of any of that either. I want you to come and enjoy it for fun.

While I'm making every effort to become published (like so many others) I want to share my universe with you while I still can. I have a lot to overcome and it's not going to be easy, but hopefully you will come along. That's what this is, you see, "overcoming". Nothing else.

That's why I will always stand for autism education and awareness, even through Galaxy Zento. Maybe that's my gift, I'll let you decide.

Galaxy Zento Fan Page

No comments: